Sunday, June 1, 2014

Otaku - A Diversity of People

As discussed in the first post, when the word 「おたく」was first put into use by Akio Nakamori, it was used to describe a very negative and very specific stereotype of individuals. Unkempt, foolish, withdrawn, awkward. For many people, this still seems to be the common conception upon hearing the word 「おたく」. 

However, my experience with おたく individuals could not have been more different. I had the opportunity to see and spend time with a variety of individuals who would be identified as おたく. Their situations were diverse, their personalities rich and unique. Today I would like to share just a few of those experiences with you all.

To start, let's look at a broad example and return to the classic おたくgathering point of Akihabara. However, each of these locations hosted a wide array of individuals. Young, old, various professional workers, students, male, female. There was no limit to the variety of people there.

The streets of Akihabara.

INTRO. ***This friend has always identified as an おたくfrom the start of our friendship. She passionately watches アニメ and reads 漫画, plays both Nintendo and Playstation games, and has a love for photographing cosplay. However, she is so far from the stereotype depicted by ****NAME. She is an active participant of her university's photography club, and has just begun the third year of her philosophy degree. And she is very stylish and good-looking!


Here is a nice really blurry photo from behind from which you will never guess her identity. I respect her privacy.

Though she is Japanese and lives in Japan, our friendship was born in the year she was studying abroad at my high school in Calgary! Honestly, she has done some incredible things! And more than that, her personality is delightful. She is easy to talk to, kind, fun, and well mannered. Upon first impression, I think many people would never suspect to hear her refer to herself as an おたく. But she is a prime demonstration of both burning おたくpassion and a rich and developed persona. 

Wait, no, I mean personality. I need to sleep. But please take this picture anyways.
I do not think she is the only individual like this. I have no doubt that there are many more おたく whose enthusiasm for their interests does not stop them from actively participating and enriching the world around them.

My final example, the father of my host family, is undeniably a true おたく, with the shelves of his room filled with manga, watching anime on Sunday mornings. But not only that, the mother of the family laughed with me that even though she wants to travel, the father never wants to go because he cannot read "Jump" magazine outside of the country haha. Furthermore, I experienced his manga knowledge first-hand when he took me to "Book Off" and gave me some recommendations...

しまった…

However, what stood out to me about him was not his passion for manga, but his passion for his family. He worked late throughout the week, but it was evident that on the weekend he let his love for his family overflow. Happily helping his son with homework on Saturday morning, dancing to Micheal Jackson with the mother, solving Professor Layton puzzles with the daughter, and even towards me, the honorary family member, watching anime and watching 嵐's variety shows with me (I love 嵐!) and proudly sharing stories and photos of his family. 

When people think negatively of おたく, I think they often look only at what they appear to be an irregularly strong interest, and forget the rest of the individual. But to me, this father was a powerful example of how おたく are also people, and can be full of such kindness and wonderfulness and goodness.

It seems I'm coming to the end of this blog. I'm not good at conclusions by any means, but I suppose if I could say one thing that I hope everyone could take from this post and this blog is to not look down on others due to their interests, or for any other reason. Each person has a story and it would be a shame to miss out on any of them. This blog is focused on おたく, and I certainly hope that people will apply this to them, but to all people, as well.

That's all I have to say! Thank you all for reading!

Anime Eyes Sleep Mask
And good night......

No comments:

Post a Comment